Thursday, April 14, 2011

Acorns Good For Your Brain

I knew it all along!  Eating acorns makes you smarter.  Literally.  Or at least it could help stave off dimentia

Interpretive Summary: In this paper, ARS scientist collaborated with scientists at the Rural Development Administration of South Korean government to investigate the effect of dietary supplementation with acorn (Quercus acutissima CARR.) on brain dementia using a mouse model. To assess the effect of acorn, the level of acetylcholine which is a very important neurotransmiter was measured in untreated and acorn treated groups. The results showed that dietary supplementation with acorn gave a slight increase in the acetylcholine level in mice fed acorn diet compared to untreated mice group. These results indicate that acorn (Q. acutissima CARR.) plays an effective role in an attenuating various age related changes such as brain dementia including learning and memory impairments (emphasis mine). This information will enhance our understanding of how diet such as acorn can improve learning and memory function and will facilitate the application of dietary use of acorn as a functional food to improve brain activity in human.

Brain activity in human?  I wonder which human they are referring to.

Of course I have eaten more acorns than anyone I know and I still can't remember where I parked my car (usually with the lights on) at the mall, but in my defense I've been like that ever since I can remember.  So to speak.

1 comment:

  1. Reviatlise And Protect Your Brain Cells With Deprenyl

    Deprenyl acts as a nerve and brain cell protector. Also known as Deprenyl Citrate, Selegiline and Cyprenil, using Deprenyl can improve brain function http://www.antiaging-systems.com/50-deprenyl, stimulate brain activity and effectively increase dopamine levels available in the brain. Used ‘off label’ to treat Alzheimer’s disease, its ability to prevent brain cell deterioration is well documented.

    ReplyDelete