Monday, November 8, 2010

The Omnivore Who Has Solved His Dilemma

That line, from the About page of Hank Shaw's extremely cool blog Honest Food, is one of my favorite lines of all time.  Which makes sense because his is one of my favorite blogs of all time.

Reader/commenter/friend Eric recently asked about acorn recipes.  Here are three from Honest Food.  I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tried any of them, but I plan to soon (possibly at gunpoint since with all the acorns I've been hoarding our refrigerator now has room only for a quart of milk and the subject of my favorite Minnesota joke* tucked way in the back).

Someone please give these a try and we'll compare notes:
http://honest-food.net/veggie-recipes/acorns-nuts-and-other-wild-starches/acorn-flour-cake/
http://honest-food.net/veggie-recipes/acorns-nuts-and-other-wild-starches/acorn-flatbreads/
http://honest-food.net/veggie-recipes/acorns-nuts-and-other-wild-starches/acorn-or-chestnut-flour-pasta/ (I better not attempt this - if I successfully produced acorn pasta my family might keel over from shock)

* It is said that the refrigerator of every aging Minnesota couple contains the same bottle of Tabasco sauce they bought when they first got married; it was needed for some recipe or it was thought to be an staple condiment in the well-stocked fridge.  And then it was never used again.  It probably hasn't even been a liquid for more than a decade.

And I will make extra acorn flour.  If you're interested I'd be happy to send you a cup or so.  Acorn weevils no extra charge!  Just kidding.  I do plan to charge for them.

Seriously.  Let me know if you'd like some acorn flour, and I will send some.

No comments:

Post a Comment