Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Acorn Bread Recipes

I'm deciding between two appealing recipes for acorn bread that I found online.
The first is this one: http://www.jackmtn.com/acornbread.html
Dan Fisher has a great introduction to and explanation of his acorn bread recipe, with some important quotes and points:
  • "In some areas of the country, even in recent history, acorns were a staple food for native peoples. Over the course of history it has been estimated that many more millions of tons of acorns have been consumed by humans than wheat, rice, and other grains."
  • "I used syrup from the trees in my woods instead of sugar. Not only do I enjoy the wild beauty and fiery colors of the maples and oaks that surround my farm, but I also savor the sweet acorn bread made from their nuts and sap. What better way is there to get to know the trees than to live under them and eat from their bounty?"
  • Of the tannic acid-rich water created by boiling acorns prior to making flour Fisher says: "The solution is antiviral and antiseptic. It can be used as a skin wash for rashes, skin irritations, burns, poison ivy, cuts, etc. It can be gargled for sore throats or taken as a mild tea for diarrhea and dysentery, or used externally on hemorrhoids." (Blogger's note: Apparently it works on several uncomfortable/embarrassing conditions that contain extra r's.)

Here's another one: http://www.grouprecipes.com/21418/vintage-and-native-american-acorn-bread.html

I think I'm going to make this second one, in part because I have a limited quantity of acorn flour at the moment, and in part because it's less sweet and what I really want if more of a "bread bread" (if that makes any sense) than a "dessert" or sweet bread.

But I'll make both eventually.

1 comment:

  1. I recently tried to make the first recipe you list here and there must be something omitted because my batch would not even come together as a dough. So, I continued to add milk (quite a bit more) until it was a fairly thick dough, then baked it. The resulting bread barely rose in the oven. It is quite dense as a bread, but very good when warmed. The flavor does not come through when cold, and I am lead to believe that bread with acorn flour has a sweetness from the acorns themselves when baked.

    I am contemplating the latter recipe (but using maple syrup instead of sugar, and whole wheat flour), which due to the amount of leavening agent and liquid will probably not be as dense as my first attempt.

    ReplyDelete